Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Who I Am - Chapter I

Hi all,

My last post (My First Meme!) seems to have resonated with a few of you, along with myself as well. Memes are intriguing to me. For some sick reason, I get a kick out of reading - and answering - them. Depending on how well they are constructed, they can provide some illuminating insights into the participant's personality. And indeed, this latest version gave me cause for self-examination.

Additionally, it was enlightening to discover - through your revealing commentary - how you see me, based on my answers to the meme, as well as previous posts and my comments on your blogs. And so it was, that I became concerned with the possibility that I may be skewing your perceptions of myself a tad too far from actual reality.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I like a healthy facade of anonymity and mystery. Mom used to have a saying: "familiarity breeds contempt". Mom had lots of sayings, a few were not as negative as this one. Here is a more "upbeat" saying of mom's.



Though somewhat cynical, there IS some truth to the "familiarity breeds contempt" adage. And I certainly cannot bear anymore contempt than you've already shown. I'm kidding of course! For the most part.



So please allow me to correct the course of perception to one that is more accurate. The first thing you should know is that I love music, and I enjoy playing musical instruments. Here are a couple of guitars, and an amplifier, that I keep in my office.







I take pride in the way that I live. And I am not ashamed to admit that I like nice things.






I am pragmatic, and I do realize that, try as I may, not everyone is going to have the same appreciation for me as you - my loyal readers - do.







But, do you know what? It doesn't matter to me what my detractors may think. I believe in myself. I have worth. I am a good person. I am in tune with myself. Heck, I even cry on occasion. How many of you can remember the last time you cried? I can. It was during a very emotional and symbolic "Dove Release" at my cousin's wedding.






I am glad that - despite being a man - I have never turned my back on my tender, compassionate side. Sure, there have been times during my gradual and prolonged transition from childhood to maturity, where I have encountered disillusionment.



But I have never allowed these cruel revelations to cast a permanent shadow over me.

I have a big heart for my fellow man and all living things.

If you know me at all by now, then it should be apparent that I love animals, so whenever I am asked to donate in order to help an endangered species, I am always eager to jump right in and contribute.







I am a hopeless romantic. I really do enjoy candlelight dinners, and making love with a partner (ideally) during a thunderstorm. And though I don't always have the stamina of a young buck, and tend to tire easily, I still love to take long walks on the beach.






Thank you so much for letting me into your hearts, and for taking a little piece of mine.

21 comments:

leelee said...

Wow, I now feel as if I've known you forever..however I MUST be honest with you. You really should learn to have more of a sense of humor...why, you're always so serious..I mean..lighten up...just a little.. :-)

Great Post...I'm still smiling!

Paula said...

Me thinks thou doth deflect too much.

That and you are a true smart ass at heart. And yes, I know it takes one to know one.

puerileuwaite said...

Leelee, thanks, I will make an effort to come out of my shell more often. Glad you liked the post. Knowing you, it was probably the nudity ...

puerileuwaite said...

PJ, I gotta be me ;-)

puerileuwaite said...

Oh, and pj, I know how titles containing "Part I" bother you, so I hope that the change is a welcome one.

Paula said...

Chapter shmapter!

leelee said...

Nudity?? Moi? naaaaah...it was all about "The Benjamins"

puerileuwaite said...

Oh no ... now I have to somehow figure out WTF "Benjamin's" are (besides $10 bills ?)!

My ignorance, EXPOSED, once again :-(

puerileuwaite said...

PJ, sure, you say that NOW, but just wait until I go into Chapter 11 ...

leelee said...

I'll save you the google:
It's All About The Bejamins

puerileuwaite said...

Shows how often I see a $100 bill. Or a $10 bill, for that matter.

So much for future efforts to convince you that I'm a High Roller ...

leelee said...

lol...contrary to the "what I would do for money" portion of the meme...I am fairly unaffected by money. shells and beads..

puerileuwaite said...

Shells and beads? Strange Currency ... no longer just an REM song. There's a naughty joke in this somewhere, but fortunately for you it's been a long day for me. So I will turn in. Maybe I will dream one up for tomorrow ...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your cusin's wedding was quite "liberating" and it's good to see that you take your bodily functions seriously enough to get a real throne. I'd be eating a lot more cereal if I had that luxury. And very honored to see that you, me and the Pope have the same views on GWB. Very honored.

puerileuwaite said...

You DO see, GG, that we are truly not as different as we thought. I would like for us to hold hands later on through at least one chorus of Kumbaya.

Party Girl said...

memes are interesting and entertaining in that they do allow us some insights into the persons we read and care about. You get humor, sadness, honesty and insight. A win/win/win/win as far as I am concerned.

ut, the guitars in your office....now, that's freedom at the workplace.

seeing balls and boobs in the same post?
Priceless.

blackbird said...

so.
do you make the blue cheese dressing yourself?

puerileuwaite said...

PG, that's one of the things that I love about my job. I have a lot of freedom, plus an office that is away from everybody else.

Oh, and consider this post to be MY version of TNF ;-)

puerileuwaite said...

BB, as you are very nice and proper (you are the "matter" to my "anti-matter", in that sense), I am going to assume that your question was NOT some strange "double entendre".

So I will play it straight: no, I don't make my own salad dressings. I am way too inept!

0000 said...

Saggy matrimonial boobs AND antique chamber pots all in one post?!

You, sir, should live in the Smithsonian.

puerileuwaite said...

IR - I would love to, if they'd let me live in Lindbergh's "Spirit of St. Louis". Thanks for the return visit.

KILLER icon, BTW. Consider me PWND!